Monday, April 12, 2010

500 words and counting

Recently there was an article about a 103 year old chinese granny going to school, I was so glad to read that piece of news. The smile stuck to my face and I felt like when 3 year olds are given a purple colour sparkling wrapper and the expression reads, really 'you are giving it to me just like that, no fight?'

Going back to college to pursue a post-graduate course had been in mind I think ever since I completed my graduation but one event led to another and I just could not make it to the premises of the majestic DU.
I often wondered if Providence had a role to play and even went to the extent of making astrological enquiries, as to whether I would even complete my education.

Then Mumbai happened along with a really happening job, that literally took me places. From travelling to the best world cities on my own, I was beginning to take a new look at life. When I met people from all over, some how my CV pinched and I knew there was a miss.

So finally when life took its full course and maternity was also done with, I was sure I had to go ahead and study. Initially the outlook was narrow, it was a 'degree' approach but when I entered the classroom MCJ (Masters of Communication and Journalism), the big jigsaw puzzle fell right into place. A couple of 8:30 am lectures and 'wonderful' teacher, I knew I was in for a lot of trouble.

Trouble not because I did not want to continue but because it was full routine re-scheduling, loads of multi-tasking, trusting and training sub-staff to be with my child and then to be attentive and seated in one place for hours at a stretch. Add to that the task of trying to make sense of what was being taught in class.

The culture and education was poles apart from what I was used to - coming from one of the elite colleges in Delhi and in that if you have been taught by a group of feminist teachers, you will know what I mean.

Different state, language, food, subject and the whole class atleast 10 years younger to me, I knew I had a task at hand. Now the question will I, won't I? Coming from a background where I was never pressured into doing anything, I knew I had the comfort of back tracking. However, this time it was my spouse, who took things in his hands and closed all doors of possible retreat. Left with no choice I began the journey of my favourite two years in Mumbai.

Continues in next post...




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm....the idea of back-tracking, very familiar I must say and one I am very tempted to give into at this stage.

    ReplyDelete